11 March 2008

Mish-mash of Updates

It's been a while since my last post. Two Sundays ago I went to the circus training school in Redlands with a group of people arranged by math professor Rachel Levy and spent an enjoyable afternoon learning static trapeze, tumbling, and other fun physical activities from the people there. I was planning on doing a major post about it once I got access to some of the pictures, but I haven't gotten any so I'm going to forge ahead for now -- this post will be mostly me updating on what's happened recently, so if you want to hear about anything more in-depth, just ask.

My eye is better, so that's good. Those eyedrops itched something terrible.

In big news right now, as many of you probably are aware, Super Smash Bros. Brawl was released in the United States on Sunday, March 9th. Smash Bros. is one of the more popular group video games here at Mudd, so we were all eagerly awaiting its arrival. I went with my roommate to a friend's house in the next town over (Badier graduated last year but we still hang out with him on occasion) on Saturday night and picked up the game at its midnight release then played for 8 hours. It was one of the worse decisions I've made this semester, but I knew it was going to be and decided to deal with it.

I am going to be orientation photographer during freshman orientation next year! Orientation happens the first week or so before classes begin in the fall and it's a time for the freshmen to get adjusted to the school and to life away from home without worrying about classes or upperclassmen. The freshmen get grouped together in "sponsor groups" of about 5 frosh each and get taken under the wing of an upperclassman "sponsor" who takes them through orientation and answers any questions they may have. I'm not exactly a sponsor, as I won't have an assigned group, but I will be the photographer for orientation so I'll be there working with the freshmen. Maybe I'll see some of you there.

Last weekend was a conference here at Mudd to discuss the possibility of an aero center at the college and I was invited as a student panelist. This warrants an entire post of its own, so I'll leave it at this for now.

Finally, I'm heading off to Ireland for spring break this year. My girlfriend is studying abroad at the University of Limerick this semester and I'm going to visit her for the entirety of break. I'm getting very excited, since my flight leaves on Friday at the end of this week. I have far too much stuff to get done before then....

Okay, this is sad. I got up for class today and then when I got here I realized that I managed to knock my clock ahead an hour when setting the alarm last night, so I was an hour early. That's always a terrible thing (remind me to tell you that story from freshman year sometime), but I went off to breakfast and then came back and started this post to kill the time before class. Class time rolls around and still there's no one here. I don't remember anything about there not being class today, but it seems that not only did I wake up an hour early, I didn't actually have to wake up for this class at all today.

~KMarsh

No comments:

Post a Comment