29 March 2008

Great Craic

If you've read Trevin's blog you'll know that at Mudd we refer to something that's fun or addictive as "crack". I find it amusing, then, that in Ireland when something is fun they call it "good craic" (pronounced crack). I spent my spring break in Ireland visiting my girlfriend who is studying at the University of Limerick for the semester. The flight over was long as was the immigrations line at Dublin -- I actually had to start asking people to let me ahead of them in the line when I looked to be in danger of missing my connecting flight. I made it, but just barely.

Once I got to Ireland Liz and I started traveling...we went to several places around Limerick and then flew to London for a day. While in London we took a train to Stonehenge and then came back and saw Westminster Abbey and the National Gallery. Of particular note was the tomb of Sir Issac Newton, which we visited so we could shake our fists at the man who has caused generations of luckless science students untold misery.

Back Ireland we took a train to Dublin for a day trip and visited several sites of historic importance -- particularly the Guinness Storehouse which was leased by Arthur Guinness back in the day for 45pounds a year good for 9000 years. The company apparently finds various ways to give back to the Irish people what it saves on rent. We also went to visit a ruined castle that was destroyed by Oliver Cromwell. Most of two walls still stand and students from the university often walk down to it and throw parties there. On the last day of my trip we had a small party with a Tex-Mex dinner and watched Braveheart with an Irish bartender who has been kicked out of American bars for complaining that they don't pour their Guinness correctly.

You can see my photos here: http://tinyurl.com/2rhmut

~KMarsh

No comments:

Post a Comment