06 November 2008

Now the Nightmare's Real

Now Dr. Horrible is here! My Halloween costume was, indeed, Dr. Horrible. The gloves are the very same kind that were used in the video, Tillman 750's. The boots I got from McMaster-Carr
rather than spend the $70 on the authentic Morton Safety boots used in the video. The goggles are old Willson brand welding goggles from the days before arc welding that I got on e-bay last summer. The freeze ray was built from some cardboard boxes, various kinds of tape, bits of pipe from Home Depot, spray paint, and a camera flash (more on that in the next post). The most important part, the coat, was made by my girlfriend, who is an exceptional seamstress as well as being a Mudd engineering student. She modified the McCall 2233 pattern (the original pattern is for a chef's coat) and watched the film countless times to get it right. My Captain Hammer also agonized over his costume, finding
cheap alternatives to the gloves and boots that he needed. Another group had Dr. Horrible people, including the entire Evil League of Evil. More pictures are below. The semester is pretty busy right now, so I'll have to owe you the rest of what should be in this post (more halloween pictures and stories, and an explanation of my awesome freeze ray).

Above: Tie Die and Professor Normal of the ELoE. As a side note; welding goggles make amazing sunglasses.

Catch you later,
~KMarsh

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Someone else finally built a freeze ray. Check out the one I made (actually still working on as well)

    http://petecast.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=389810

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great to see, Pete! Do you have any pictures of your assembled freeze ray? Your LED setup looks like it should do nicely. I kept meaning to make a post here showing how I built the freeze ray, but I never got around to it; I knew I couldn't do any justice to the actual prop, so I took artistic license with what I had to make something that looked decent. My favorite part was taking apart a disposable camera for the flash unit and wiring that to a pair of switches in the body of the freeze ray.

    Thanks for sharing your project!

    ~KMarsh

    ReplyDelete